It just seems like winter and kale salad go together. We do grow kale year-round, but in the winter it is at its absolute sweetest. Here’s a fast recipe to get this ridiculously healthy veggie on your dinner table, from 101cookbooks.com. Click on the image to get the original post. This week’s CSA box provide the lacinato kale, green garlic, carrots, and lemons, so you just need to pick up the avocados and fennel at your local market.
Green Garlic Dressing:
- 2 stalks green garlic (or scallions), rinsed and chopped (~1/4 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup / 80 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons ripe avocado
- 1 teaspoon honey, or to taste
- fresh pepper to taste
- 1/2 bunch kale, destemmed, torn into pieces
- 1 cup / 5.5 oz cooked farro or wheat berries (semi-pearled or whole)
- 4-5 farmers’ market carrots, very thinly sliced
- 1 small bulb of fennel, transparently sliced
- 1 avocado, cut into small cubes
- a big handful of almond slices, toasted
- Make the dressing by using a hand blender or food processor to puree the green garlic, salt, lemon juice, olive oil, avocado, honey, and pepper until smooth. Taste, and adjust with more salt, or honey, or lemon juice.
- Before you’re ready to serve, combine the kale with about half of the dressing in a large bowl use your hands to work the dressing into the kale, softening up the kale a bit in the process. Add the farro, carrots, and fennel, more dressing, and a couple pinches of salt, and toss again. Taste, and add the last of the dressing if needed. This is a salad I like quite heavily dressed. Add the avocados and almonds and give one last gentle toss.
- Serves 2-4
- Prep time: 5 minutes
–posted by Steven