News from the Farm
Newly Added to the Farm:
- Blueberries! We have planted 6 blueberry bushes. We will get the first fruit next year.
- Blackberries & Raspberries! We used to have a small patch, but it didn’t want to stay small, and so we had to pull it. We now have a dozen new plants in pots that will get transplanted into a new bed on the ridge that Shaun has been working on. Again, fruit next year (although there will probably be a couple of berries for us to nibble this summer).
- Asparagus. We have added 100 crowns of Jersey Knight (that’s the kind we already have) and 75 crowns of Purple Passion. These will take 2 years before we have meaningful harvest, however.
- Rhubarb! These are on order, but we should be getting them any day, and we have a spot all picked out for them. First harvest – next year.
Maybe, just maybe, we will have some apricots this year. The tress have quite a bit of fruit, but the weather is not ideal for them, so it’s still a bit iffy. However, it’s looking better than it has for several years. We’ll keep you posted.
Lastly, we are trying mightily to keep up with the spring weeds, but it’s a real struggle. We would certainly welcome anyone who would like to volunteer a few hours to help with the battle. Any time, any day.
What’s in the Box? (no picture)
- salad reds and greens (just a small amount)
- bunching (spring) onions
- Caribe potatoes
- snow peas OR sugar snap peas
- herbs: spicy Greek oregano & English thyme
No Recipes this Week
At least for now – I’m just too far behind!
–posted by Steven